Responsible for enforcing city ordinances dealing with Property Maintenance, Minimum Housing, Single Family, Multi-Family and Zoning with a primary focus in residential areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Respond to and investigate citizen complaints.
- Actively patrol assigned areas to review for code violations.
- Issue notices of violation, citations and nuisance abatement work orders for city contractors.
- Enforce minimum housing standards in assigned areas and prepare cases for Housing Standards Board including Notification of Condemnation.
- Enforce City Ordinances and International Building and Residential Codes by performing scheduled inspections.
- Represent City in court as required.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
High School Diploma or GED
No related experience necessary
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge – Abilities & Skills
- 60 college credit hours advanced training beyond high school level in related area.
- Up to 1-year experience in code enforcement or similar experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- General knowledge of applicable ordinances, laws, codes and regulations
- General knowledge of construction standards and inspection procedures
- Ability to learn quickly and remain flexible in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain neat and concise data
- Multi-lingual (Spanish) skills highly preferred
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office (including: Word, Outlook, Excel)
Licenses & Certifications
Registered Texas Code Enforcement Officer* or ability to obtain in 1 year
Texas Real Estate Commission Professional Inspector License, preferred
Valid Class C Texas driver’s license