The Design Consultant is responsible for guiding customers during selection of all standard and investment options; documenting, processing, approving, and distributing addenda and change orders as well as providing the documents necessary to begin the construction process and execute design specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure Design Studio is clean, organized, and customer-ready
- Ensure all appointment dates are accurate and in alignment between CMS and Design Studio’s availability calendar
- Prepare necessary content within homesite specific folders, on community drive, with all customer specific information in accordance with Design Studio Appointment Checklist and in advance of customer’s first visit to the Design Studio
- Enter customer’s personal selections into Newstar Sales expeditiously and ensure execution and completion of contractual documents, addenda, and deposits
- Specify and enter Inventory Home selections into NewStar Sales and process re-selections and Agreement Alterations as needed
- Create Showcase Home Brochure PDFs for all Inventory Homes and process in accordance with Showcase Home procedures
- Communicate effectively with Sales, Purchasing, CEA, Construction, and Customer Service/Warranty to ensure expectations are being met and accurate information is transmitted to the field
- Work with Director of Design Studios, Design Manager and Purchasing team to ensure Design Studio is properly merchandised, labeled, organized and that Option and Investment List descriptions and attributes are accurate
- Work with Director of Design Studios, Design Manager and Purchasing Manager to ensure all samples are up to date, easily located and displayed in accordance with Design Studio schematics and instructions
- Upload all homesite specific design documentation to Community Drive, Build Pro and CMS, alert all stakeholders, and consistently perform all pre-permitting tasks outlined within the Design Studio Appointment Checklist
- Communicate with Closing Department to ensure accuracy of all addenda to expedite the closing process
Direct Customer Responsibilities
- Conduct ‘Welcome Call’, reminding customers of their pre-scheduled upcoming Design Studio visits/appointments, reinforcing appointment expectations, asking additional discovery questions and answering any questions the customer may have.
- Conduct scheduled ‘Design Studio Orientation Tours’ for customers under contract
- Conduct ‘Design Studio Selection Appointment’
- Provide customers with product education and information, investment options, and investment amounts within customer’s target investment range and desired design aesthetic
- Conduct ‘Design Studio Review and Authorization Appointment’
- Ensure that customer’s personal option selections are timely, specified correct, complete and conform with Kolter Homes policies and procedures
- Limit ‘Special Requests’ from customers in accordance with Kolter Homes policies and procedures
- Limit ‘Late Change Requests’ from customers in accordance with Kolter Homes policies and procedures
- Process Changes Order and Agreement Alteration addenda approved by Community Leader or management and in alignment with Kolter Homes policies and procedures
- Provide an elevated customer experience throughout the design studio appointments and home construction process
- Monitor cancellations, ‘inventory home’ to sold, sold to ‘inventory home’, ensure selection changes are made correctly, in a timely manner, reviewed and approved by Design Manager and/or Community Leader.
- Prepare accurate layouts/redlines for structural options, electrical, low voltage, pool (where applicable), outdoor features (where applicable), cabinets, flooring, closet shelving, backsplash, decorative tile, crown and flatwork, plumbing, and built-ins/trim carpentry for CEA and Construction department.
- Work closely with Sales, CEA(s) and Construction through home completion.
- Prepare, review with customer, receive customer’s authorization for and disburse in accordance with the Design
Studio Appointment Checklist:
- Elevation Redline
- Structural Redline
- Pool Layout (where applicable)
- Outdoor Feature (e.g., Summer Kitchen, etc.) (where applicable
- Electrical Redline
- Low Voltage Layout
- Cabinetry Layouts
- Kitchens, Wet Bar(s), Dry Bar(s), Baths, Laundry, Drop Zones, and Built-Ins
- Built-in Layouts (e.g., Model specific details/cabinetry)
- Flooring Redlines
- Backsplash Layout(s)
- Decorative Tile Layouts
- Millwork & Crown Molding Redline(s)
- Closet Shelving Layouts
- Review and provide feedback regarding Design Studio product library information and attributes to Design Manager (or Dir. of Design Studios) and Purchasing Department
- Work closely with the CEA(s) and Construction Department to ensure information is concise and received in a timely manner, and that customer selections are correctly installed
- Work closely with Design Manager (or Community Leader and Area Sales Manager) to coordinate Inventory Home investment levels and selections
- Assist Director of Design Studios, Design Manager and Community Leader(s) throughout New Model Home selection process. Ensure all options are entered into NewStar Sales expeditiously, presented for Community Leader review and approval and processed upon authorization. Based on authorized selections, create supplemental redlines for reference prior to receipt of Merchandising firms’ final packets. May include but not limited to: Electrical Redline, Low Voltage Layout, Cabinet Layouts, Flooring Redline, Backsplash and/or Decorative Tile concepts.
- Provide closing assistance as necessary
- Work closely with Director of Design Studios and Design Manage during the planning, set-up and maintenance of the Design Studio
- Review and maintain communication with Design Manager (or Dir. of Design Studios to ensure collateral (including but not limited to Design Guide) is current and representative of products offered per community.
- Review Deposit Aging Report to ensure all customer’s design related deposits are collected.
- Outline the expressed needs of customers (house type, lifestyle, and buying motives) to increase sales of options and investments
- Complete departmental training and other training as requested or provided by management.
REQUIRED JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong understanding of construction, subcontracting, and customer service
- Understanding of sales, marketing, capital budgeting, acquisitions, entitlements, and land development
- Excellent analytical, creative thinking, leadership, problem-solving, interpersonal, negotiation, organizational, project management and time management skills
- Manage multiple priorities in a timely and professional manner with strong attention to detail with limited supervision
- Read and interpret construction documents and specifications, contracts, owners’ association documents, and other related work documents
- Ability to learn and use customer relationship management software including Builders CMS, customer service software including Build Pro, NewStar, Track-it and any other company-based software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
- Effectively and professionally communicate (in oral and written form) with internal and external customers
- Demonstrate commitment to integrity, company values, customer-focus, and established policies and procedures
- Display professional appearance, attire and manner
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate Degree in Design, Management, Marketing, Communications, Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field strongly preferred. One year of work experience may substitute for one year of the required education up to a maximum of four years substitution. Where substitution is accepted, applicant must demonstrate increased knowledge-base and progressively more challenging work assignments
PHYSICAL DEMANDS – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 50 pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required
- use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- reach with hands and arms
- climb or balance
- stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- This position occasionally works in an environment with a loud noise level (Examples: jack hammer work, front row at a rock concert)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in high precarious places
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to vibrations