Shape Your World
At Alcoa, you will become an essential part of our purpose: to turn raw potential into real progress. The way we see it, every Alcoan is a work-shaper, team-shaper, idea-shaper, world-shaper.
At Alcoa, you’re an essential part of our purpose: to turn raw potential into real progress. This is an opportunity for you to bring your wealth of experience to the team and help shape the future of sustainability with world-changing innovations and low-carbon technologies. You have the power to shape things to make them better.
About the role:
The Electrical Engineer is the first level in the Engineering help-chain and applies specific discipline Engineering knowledge, principles and skills to provide technical support which will contribute to the achievement of the respective operating center business plan objectives.
This position is accountable to perform needed work under the supervision and direction of more experienced engineers and/or supervisors and to learn about processes, technologies, safety, economics, statistics, and other areas. Primary emphasis is on implementation in areas defined by others.
- Complete tasks in a timely and safe manner. Develop time management and prioritization techniques.
- Gain knowledge and experience in plant processes and engineering procedures.
- Demonstrate initiative and interest in assigned area.
- Handle projects with support of experienced engineers or supervisors; may handle small projects independently.
- Establish good working relationship with peers, associates, and others at all levels.
- Develop an awareness of the safety and ergonomic impact engineering decisions have on people and equipment.
- Monitor and improve processes, procedures and equipment to eliminate or minimize environmental and safety hazards in pursuit of zero incidents.
- Ensure an effective focus of engineering resources on risk reduction, cost reduction, asset utilization, effective use of capital, continuous improvement initiatives and waste reduction of equipment and systems.
- Begin understanding and using statistical tools.
- Begin developing technical skills in subject area.
What you can bring to the role:
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals in electrical control, instrumentation, PLC and automation systems.
- A minimum of Bachelor of Science Degree.
- Must have good computer skills (Excel, Word, Power Point), be self-starting, diligent, and be proficient at written and verbal communication.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation packages, including pay for performance variable pay, recognition and rewards programs, and stock based compensation awards (3 year vesting schedule).
- Flexible spending accounts and generous employer contribution to the HSA.
- 401(k), employer match up to 6%, additional employer retirement income contribution (no vesting period), and a nonqualified deferred compensation plan.
- Holiday Pay: 10 holidays and one flexible holiday of your choice.
- 8 hours of Paid annual volunteer hours
- Alcoa has been chosen as one of America’s Greatest Workplaces 2023 by Newsweek.
About the Location
Our Massena facility in New York State, established in 1902, is home to the longest continuously operating smelter in the world. Located on the St. Lawrence River, Massena, NY is the center for commercial, industrial, and manufacturing success in St. Lawrence County. Massena’s caring sense of community, affordable cost of living, and extremely low-cost locally supplied energy, coupled with four public and private universities nearby, make Massena a great place to call home. And within a two hour drive (or less) are cosmopolitan and historic Montreal and Ottawa, Canada to the north, and to the south are the tall, beautiful views of Adirondacks and within it is Lake Placid The Olympic Village.
We are values led, vision driven and united by our purpose of transforming raw potential into real progress. Our commitments to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity include providing trusting workplaces that are safe, respectful and inclusive of all individuals, free from discrimination, bullying and harassment and that our workplaces reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate.
As a proud equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer, Alcoa is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of a person’s gender, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, nation of origin, disability, veteran status, language spoken or any other characteristic or status protected by the laws or regulations in the places where we operate.
If you have visited our website in search of information on U.S. employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Alcoa Recruiting via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a place where you are empowered to do your best work, be your authentic self, and feel a true sense of belonging. Come join us and shape your career!
Your work. Your world. Shape them for the better.