At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
This position will be based primarily in South Burlington with the expectation that commuting to Plattsburgh, NY will be required as needed. The flight test pilot is responsible for developing flight test plans and organizing flight test events in the briefing, flight test article, and debriefs / data analysis. They also prepare in collaboration with the test engineers and systems experts the program test reports, plans, and hazard analyses.
BETA’s current flight test focus on the ALIA-250 experimental prototypes brings many novel flight test risks and challenges with it, including FBW, EMI, VTOL, HV batteries, electric propulsion units, and aeroelastics. Part of your responsibility will be working with the rest of the test team to lay out test plans and techniques that navigate this new age of aerospace propulsion and control. Given that much of the technology is new, you will often be required to think from first principles when determining risk and mitigations, in addition to using established flight test doctrine and techniques. You will work to drive down these risks to enable high-rate testing to expose issues on these new architectures, ahead of certification and production of the conforming aircraft.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Assist in writing test plans and cards for upcoming flight test programs alongside test engineers and systems engineers.
- Contribute to FAA certification planning and discussions.
- Conduct flight and test readiness reviews for upcoming programs.
- Participate in flight tests as a flight test pilot, or run flight test telemetry/control rooms as test conductor.
- Running/participating in simulation-based flight test practice and failure mode investigations.
- Report on test programs to both internal engineering groups and outside customers.
Minimum Qualifications We are seeking:
- Commercial pilot ratings; Fixed Wing (required) Rotary Wing (desired), Powered Lift (desired)
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or related technical field.
- 3 or more years of experimental flight test experience as an engineer or pilot.
- Experience in an FAA/EASA Type Certification or Supplemental Type Certification program under Parts 23/25/27/29.
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- Experience drafting Means of Compliance and FAA Certification Plans
- Proficiency with Matlab/Python/X-Plane/Google Sheets.
- Graduate of military or civilian test pilot school (in either flight test engineer or pilot capacity)
- Experience leading control rooms, writing test cards, and preparing test reports.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to fly and perform test maneuvers during day and night operations
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (email@example.com). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.