The Operations Manager is a centralized resource position holding a firm-wide view linking the business and financial operations with projects, departments, regional office, and market sector performance. This proactive role helps Project Managers, Market Sector Leaders, Department Directors, and Regional Managers to resolve operational challenges on projects and is a solutions-focused individual who can drive toward issue resolution. This role directs and monitors project team members, ensuring high productivity and profitable project delivery. The Operations Manager is the primary director for developing uniformly high production standards and monitoring projects to ensure that quality and production standards are met for all design and contract documents.
- Team leader who works collaboratively with the Director of Architecture, Director of Structural Engineering, other senior corporate finance and accounting staff, Project Managers, Project Administrators, and other team members.
- Proficient in systems thinking and how to make and drive process improvements.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage and delegate a multitude of tasks, assignments, and changing priorities efficiently
- Strong communication skills to help explain financial concepts to Project Managers.
- Minimum of ten (10) to twelve (12) years in a related role with a minimum of seven (7) years for an architectural or engineering firm.
- Architectural or Engineering degree and/or Business Studies, Organizational Management, or Business Administration from a four-year accredited university.
Contracts & Proposals
- Assists Project/Proposal Manager in review of contract terms and conditions and coordination with external legal resources.
- Interpret contracted scope with Project/Proposal Managers to assess scope creep, gaps, and when to pursue additional service requests.
- Assist Project/Proposal Managers with reviewing project proposals as needed.
Planning and Workflow
- Work with Project Managers and project teams to update project management plans and find solutions for gaps and inefficiencies
- Develop tools for departments to understand workload predictability Identify software and technology solutions that enhance project management, design collaboration, and overall operational efficiency.
- Develop, maintain, and ensure Operational Procedures are integrated into the project process.
- Maximize efficiency and productivity through process analysis and interdepartmental collaboration.
- Lead and supervise managers and leaders for QA/QC, CAD, REVIT, Graphics/Interiors, and IT regarding operational aspects of the firm.
- Ability to delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful.
- When related to departmental and market sector work (as opposed to project work), bring a business operations perspective to how the department runs and operates in a profitable manner.
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team and Department Directors in the development of a financial and budgetary plan.
Staffing & Resource Management
- Develop tools and/or identify software for workload resource management.
- Participate in weekly resource management and allocation.
- Coordinate with Project managers and Departmental Directors to understand and track project needs.
Reporting & Data
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance on commonly used project performance reports.
- Interpret and explain data to Project Managers and key stakeholders
- Support project managers by prioritizing and acting upon understanding financial performance at project, department, and market sector levels.
- Assist department and market sector leaders with understanding utilization goals and other relevant KPIs
- Review project financial information and collaborate with Project Managers to meet project financial goals and assist in establishing recovery plans where required
Communication and Culture
- Foster a culture of collaboration and open communication across departments. Act as a bridge between different departments, promoting a holistic approach to project execution.
- Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
- Collaborate in the development of performance goals and long-term operational plans.
- Work closely with human resources to lead the team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment.
FORTIS Resource Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.