The Chemical Plant- Operations Manager will ensure the daily production schedule is met and the finished products are shipped to the customer on time. This will typically be accomplished through the efficient management of production resources such as production employees, equipment, materials, time and by using structured problem-solving techniques and sound statistical methods to develop consistency and predictability regarding the CTQ characteristics.
The Chemical Plant- Operations Manager will demonstrate leadership in communicating business goals, programs, and processes for an area or business segment. In this role, you will utilize your experience or expertise to solve problems, develop and execute objectives for self and others, and affect short-term and some long-term business goals.
As the Chemical Plant-Operations Manager, you will lead the production, shipping, and maintenance areas by:
- Being responsible for time and attendance management, performance reviews and conflict resolution for production employees within assigned department
- Ensures assigned employees are aware / comply with all Veolia WTS, government, customer and applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations
- Ensures that resources committed to executing the production schedule will meet the customer requirements and meet the internal business metrics, such as productivity and overtime costs
- Be responsible for ensuring all cross functional departments are working together to address production delays, quality excursions, or equipment outages
- Work closely with Corporate Engineering to assist with capital expenditures and project management
- Coordinate vendors and contractors appropriately with plant needs
- Troubleshooting production problems, whether process or material issues, conduct root cause analyses and implement corrections, to minimize impact to production and eliminate root cause
- Be proficient in extracting data and required reports from SAP to track, monitor, and troubleshoot electronic flow of information through the purchasing, inventory management, customer order management, and inter site logistics modules of the SAP system
- Ensure all employees maintain their job certifications / trainings
- Ensure compliance to regulatory agencies, ISO, OSHA, EPA, DOT, DHS, etc.
- Develop and implement a succession plan for production and shipping positions
- In the absence of the plant manager, assume full responsibilities for all plant operations and site management duties
- This list is not all-inclusive and may include other duties as assigned and necessary for the operation and management of the shift and overall plant.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Industrial, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a shop leadership position, in a manufacturing environment
- Willing and able to be part of the Department of Homeland Security Personnel Surety Program
- Excellent understanding of chemical processing and material handling equipment
- Fundamental understanding of the Risk Management Program for Hazardous Chemicals
- Knowledge of manufacturing policies and regulations established by Veolia WTS as well as government and other customers
- Knowledge of the disciplines of manufacturing management such as production and inventory control, and standard cost systems
- Strong leadership skills, including coaching and communication and demonstrated ability to train and mentor production employees
- Working experience operating in a facility under the OHSA Process Safety Management program or Risk Management Program for Hazardous Chemicals
- Experience with Management of Change processes including P&ID documentation updates
- Lean / Six Sigma Green Belt or equivalent Quality training
- Experience with enterprise business systems, SAP
- Strong leadership skills; self-starter that works well in a team environment
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of management
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and assign right prioritization
- Effective risk manager; knowing when to escalate, defining risk mitigation plans and know when to invoke them
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, influencing, and organizational skills in a matrix organization